ArtCOP21

ex Oceano ~ we are from the Ocean ~ the Ocean sustains us

Lynchpin

01 - 31 May 2016, 8 - 9pm

TBA, Tasmania

exOceanoMainImage-ArtCOP

When

01 - 31 May 2016
8 - 9pm
Performance of the symphony is under discussion for sometime in 2016. Performance details will be advertised through the ex Oceano website within Lynchpin, http://www.lynchpin.org.au/our-projects/ex-oceano/ as they become available. You can listen to ex Oceano now on Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/5x9MRUqdILjhLOOR13fpoO

Where

TBA
TBA
Hobart, Tasmania,  7000
Australia
Show on map

Type

Visit website

A love song — a symphony written in response to the science of the changing Ocean ~ dedicated to those whose lives are given to Ocean science.

The Ocean covers around 71% of the planet’s surface; the remaining =~ 29% is the landmass on which around 7.3 billion of us live.

'the Ocean sustains life
it connects all things
it is the thread that binds the web of life together'

In 2012-13, the Tasmanian based Lynchpin program invited Australian composer, Matthew Dewey, to collaborate with two PhD candidates in Ocean Science from the state’s prestigious Antarctic and Southern Ocean research establishments.

From this collaboration came a symphony – ex Oceano – a work that speaks to the deeper feelings that arise in response to an emerging understanding of the impacts of human activities on the temperature and chemistry of the Ocean.

'Music expresses emotion – that’s what music does well … This is such a deep concern for scientists … they’ve dedicated their lives to this … discovering what we can do to stem the radical change to our environment.' Matthew Dewey, Composer ex Oceano

'The Ocean has changed more rapidly in the past thirty years than during the whole of human history.' Prof Callum Roberts, University of York, UK

In the composer’s words:

'the very last moment is a moment of reflection, where the orchestra is almost a bell –
it’s saying “who knows what’s next?” –
we’re waiting now'

The music
Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/5x9MRUqdILjhLOOR13fpoO

The story
ABC’s Radio National Program Off Track, 31 .10. 2015 https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pgwE7P1XqG?play=true

The science
that informs the symphony
(http://www.lynchpin.org.au/our-projects/ex-oceano/)

Those who made this project possible:

Matthew Dewey, Composer
Robert Johnson (PhD Candidate, 2013)
Institute for Marine & Antarctic Studies, University of Tasmania
Nicholas Roden (PhD Candidate, 2013)
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation
Oceans and Atmosphere Flagship, Hobart, Australia
Tasmanian artist, Michaye Boulter

Lynchpin http://www.lynchpin.org.au

https://vimeo.com/80873449

Tags

, ,

Share